Chocolate and Lemon Cake
CHCOLATE AND LEMON CAKE
This cake has a surprise ingredient – mayonnaise! Yes – really! It makes a deliciously moist, dense cake and, if you think about it, the mayo is just replacing the eggs and butter – it just seems a strange thing to use in baking. Anyway, it’s well worth trying and is delicious served warm or cold. If you’re using the crème fraiche topping (which I would strongly recommend) then you do need to store it in the fridge. This also works well with a chocolate fudge topping.
250g self-raising flour
50g good quality cocoa
½ teaspoon baking powder
200g caster sugar
200mls cold water
200g full-fat mayonnaise
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
200mls crème fraiche
4 tablespoons lemon curd
- Line the base of a 20-22cm loose-bottomed, round tin with baking parchment.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a bowl. Add the sugar and stir briefly.
- Next, add the water, mayonnaise and vanilla extract and then whisk well with an electric whisk for 2 minutes, until really smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to your prepared tin and bake towards the top of the oven for 30-40 minutes (200C), until the cake is firm to the touch.
- Whilst the cake is cooking, make the topping by gently combining the crème fraiche and lemon curd. Place in the fridge to firm up.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave until it is completely cold, before spreading with the topping. Decorate with a little grated lemon zest