Chorizo and Sun Dried Tomato Burgers
CHORIZO AND SUN DRIED TOMATO BURGERS WITH BALSAMIC GLAZED RED ONIONS
Burgers are really simple to make and you can add whatever flavourings you prefer. I usually make a double batch and freeze some ready for later use – always defrost them thoroughly before cooking though. Serve the burgers in brioche buns, with a home-made slaw and green salad. Summer on a plate.
INGREDIENTS (makes 4)
450g lean minced beef
100g chorizo, finely diced
1 onion, grated
2 tablespoons freshly chopped oregano
1 tablespoon freshly chopped mint
Cracked black pepper
4 sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped (reserving 45mls of the oil for the onions)
For the glazed onions:
45mls reserved oil from the sun-dried tomatoes
3 red onions, finely sliced
45mls good quality balsamic vinegar
To serve: Salad leaves
- In a large bowl, mix all the burger ingredients together.
- Using damp hands, shape the mixture into 4 even sized burgers. Compress them well so that they hold their shape.
- Place on a large plate, cover and chill for at least 30 minutes, or freeze at this stage.
- Meanwhile, prepare the balsamic glazed onions: Heat the reserved oil in a large pan and fry the onions on the hotplate for 8-10 minutes, stirring regularly, until soft and caramelised. Add the balsamic vinegar, move to the simmer plate and cook uncovered, for a further 5-10 minutes.
- To cook the burgers: pre-heat the grill and then cook the burgers for 8-10 minutes, turning carefully, once or twice, until cooked and any juices run clear.
- Serve in a brioche bun, topped with the balsamic glazed onions, alongside salad leaves and a selection of relishes.