Fruity Baked Apples
FRUITY BAKED APPLES
4 large Bramley cooking apples
25g unsalted butter
100g soft brown sugar
4 tablespoons mincemeat
50g flaked almonds, or chopped almonds, pecans or brazils
2 tablespoons raisins or sultanas
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or mixed spice
4 tablespoons Orange Juice
- Butter an ovenproof baking dish. Prepare the apples – wash thoroughly, remove the core and gently score around the middle (equator) of the apples with a sharp knife. This will stop the skins from bursting in the oven!
- Melt the butter and mix well with the brown sugar, mincemeat, nuts, spice, and raisins.
- Spoon this mixture generously into the cavities of the apples, pushing down firmly. Place any excess filling in the bottom of a buttered baking dish.
- Place the apples into the dish and dot the top of each apple with a few small pieces of butter. Add the orange juice and cover with foil, or a well-fitting lid.
- Bake in the oven for approx. 45 minutes (depending on size), basting the apples with the orange juice several times. Once soft and fluffy, remove from the oven and serve piping hot with cream, clotted cream, custard or ice cream.