Goats Cheese, Feta and Courgette Lasagne
GOATS’ CHEESE, FETA AND COURGETTE “LASAGNE”
As there is a trend for using vegetables instead of rice / pasta I thought you might like to try this alternative version of a lasagne – substituting courgette strips for the pasta sheets.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 green pepper, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
150g mushrooms, sliced
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon chopped oregano
3 sticks celery, finely sliced
1 x 400g tin butter beans, drained
150mls vegetable stock or water
100g goats’ cheese, crumbled
Grated zest ½ lemon
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 courgettes, sliced thinly lengthways (at least 6 slices from each courgette)
200g feta, diced
1 x oblong shaped ovenproof dish
- Heat ½ tablespoon oil in a small pan and gently fry garlic and peppers for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes and honey and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5-10 minutes, until slightly thickened, and then stir in the oregano. Set aside.
- In another pan, heat ½ tablespoon oil and gently cook the celery for a few minutes, without browning. Then add the stock and butterbeans and simmer until the celery is soft.
- Puree this mixture in a blender, along with the goats’ cheese and then stir in the lemon zest and juice.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan and cook the courgette slices, in several batches, until softened.
- To assemble the dish: place a third of the courgette slices on the bottom of the dish. Cover these with half of the tomato sauce mixture and then another layer of courgettes. Use the remaining tomato sauce and then arrange a final layer of courgettes on top. Pour over the butterbean sauce and sprinkle with the feta cheese.
- Bake for approx. 40 minutes at 200C, until bubbling and golden brown.
Serve with a green salad and bread or potatoes if desired