250g plain flour
150g unsalted butter
75g caster sugar
25g ground almonds
Zest ½ lemon
1 egg yolk
3 tablespoons milk
½ jar mince meat
Milk for glazing
- In a food processor, mix flour, butter, almonds, lemon zest and sugar. Pulse until it forms “breadcrumbs”.
- Add the egg yolk and milk to form a soft dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling it out.
- Roll out the pastry, on a lightly floured surface, to the thickness of a 50p piece. Use a pastry cutter to cut 12 circles for the bases and 12 for the lids.
- Place the larger circles into your mince pie tray. Fill with a spoonful of mincemeat then top with the smaller circles of pastry. (Lightly brush the edges of the pastry with a little water to help them to stick to the other pastry edges).
- Brush the lids lightly with milk and make a “steam hole” in the top.
- Place in the oven at 200C for approximately 20-30 minutes, until the mince pies are golden brown.
- Place on a wire rack to cool and dust with a little icing sugar before eating.
Add the zest of a clementine to the pastry mix
Add some dried cranberries to the mincemeat