Oven Baked Smoked Haddock and Asparagus Risotto
OVEN BAKED SMOKED HADDOCK & ASPARAGUS RISOTTO
Traditionally risotto is made on the hob but this version can be put into the top oven, after the first stage is completed, and produces a delicious creamy result. Depending on the season you can substitute other ingredients e.g. mushrooms, butternut squash, prawns etc
1 x 15ml spoon olive oil
2 shallots, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
300g risotto rice
125 mls dry white wine
750 mls vegetable stock
300g skinless boneless smoked haddock fillet (all in one/two pieces)
2 tablespoons crème fraiche
Juice of ½ lemon
250g frozen peas, defrosted
- Peel and chop the shallots and crush the garlic. Blanch the asparagus and refresh in cold water. Cut asparagus into small pieces.
- In an ovenproof dish, gently fry the onion and garlic in the oil, for a couple of minutes stirring frequently. Add the rice and fry for a further two minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the wine and bring to the boil. Then add the stock, bring back to the boil and simmer gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Place the haddock (in one/two pieces) on top of the rice, cover and place in the oven at 200C for 15 minutes, until the rice is tender and the haddock cooked through.
- Remove the piece of haddock from the top, place on a plate, then stir the crème fraiche, lemon juice, asparagus and peas into the risotto. Simmer for just a couple of minutes to cook the peas.
- Flake the haddock into small pieces and gently stir through.
- Season with black pepper and then garnish with the parmesan and chopped parsley.
- Serve with crusty bread and a green salad.