Pear and Hazelnut Flapjack Crumble
PEAR AND HAZLENUT FLAPJACK CRUMBLE
This dessert makes a change from the traditional apple crumble and is delicious served with crème anglaise, ice cream or a dollop of crème fraiche - take your pick.
800g pears, cored and chopped
2 balls of stem ginger, finely chopped
2 tablespoons stem ginger syrup from the jar
1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
150g light soft brown sugar
150g unsalted butter, plus a few extra knobs
4 tablespoons golden syrup
250g porridge oats
100g blanched hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- Place the pears in a pan with the stem ginger, ginger syrup, vanilla pod and a tablespoon sugar. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the pear mixture to an ovenproof dish and remove the vanilla pod.
- Melt the butter, golden syrup and sugar in a saucepan. Add the oats and hazelnuts. Stir well to coat the oats with the syrup mixture.
- Spoon the topping over the pears and then scatter a few knobs of butter over the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes at 200C, until golden brown on top.