Carrot Cake Muffins
CARROT CAKE MUFFINS
These little muffins are light and delicious – whip up a batch when unexpected guests arrive, or for an impromptu afternoon tea. You could even make them in advance, freeze them without the topping and then defrost and top them just before serving. Best kept refrigerated.
300g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
75g pecans, roughly chopped
115g dark soft brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
150mls sunflower oil
1 large carrot, coarsely grated
Finely grated zest 1 orange
150g cream cheese
50g icing sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
12 pecan halves
- Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and pecans in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, lightly mix the sugar, eggs, milk and oil. Then stir in the carrot an d orange zest.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix briefly to combine the ingredients.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin. Bake at 200C for 25 - 30 minutes until well risen and golden on top.
- Leave in a tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a cooling wire.
- To decorate, gently mix the cream cheese, icing sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Place a spoonful on the top of each muffin and top with half a pecan nut.