Bread and Butter Pudding
Recipe produced by The Cotswold Chef
6 slices of fruit bread or plain white bread or croissants
75g soft butter
Handful of raisins (optional)
1 vanilla pod, split
Zest of 1 orange
2 egg yolks
1. Have the Everhot oven set at 200 degrees.
2. Butter the bread and remove the crusts then cut into triangles.
3. Sprinkle the bottom of an ovenproof dish with the raisins then neatly arrange the buttered bread triangles on top.
4. Place the vanilla pod, nutmeg and orange zest into a saucepan with the milk and bring to the boil.
5. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl.
6. When the milk has come to the boil, remove from the heat and pour over the eggs and sugar.
7. Strain the mixture through a sieve over the bread allowing the bread to soak up the liquid. Add enough liquid to almost completely fill the dish.
8. Place the dish into a Bain Marie or water bath (place dish in a deep sided roasting tray and fill with hot water to half way up the side of the bread and butter dish). Place in the oven for approximately 30 minutes.
9. When cooked, the bread and butter pudding will be golden in colour and the liquid will have set.
10. Remove from the oven and remove bread and butter pudding from the Bain Marie.
11. Sprinkle with caster sugar and serve warm or cold.