These little Florentines are gluten free (but not nut free!!) and are a great gift to give at Christmas time – but equally good to keep in an airtight tin and produce when unexpected guests drop in for a cuppa. They do need a bit of care and attention in the making – so not for the novice.
75g light soft brown sugar
50g caster sugar
75mls double cream
40g runny honey
35g liquid glucose
60g unsalted butter
100g flaked almonds
50g pistachios, roughly chopped
75g hazelnuts, chopped
50g sesame seeds
30g dried cranberries
200g dark chocolate
- Line two baking trays with baking parchment / bake-o-glide
- Gently heat the sugars, cream, honey, glucose and butter in a pan, until the sugar has dissolved, and then bring to the boil.
- Cook for 1 minute and then remove from the heat and add the nuts and dried fruit. Stir well to combine.
- Place small spoonfuls of the mixture on the trays, 10cm apart (they need plenty of room to spread). Bake, in batches, for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. If you want a neat edge, use a round cutter and place over each Florentine, creating an even disc shape – otherwise, leave with uneven edges, for a more natural effect.
- Leave to cool completely on the tray.
- Melt the chocolate, in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Coat the bases of the Florentines with a thin layer of chocolate and leave, chocolate side up to set. Once set, store in an airtight container.