Hot stilton bites with cranberry relish
HOT STILTON BITES WITH A SPICED CRANBERRY RELISH
A hot canape is always a welcome change – so, although these do require a little attention at the last minute, they are worth the effort. Cut into tiny, bite-sized triangles and pass around as soon as they come out of the pan – delicious!
175g Double Gloucester Cheese, grated
125g Cheddar Cheese, grated
75g Stilton Cheese, crumbled or grated
225g Plain Flour, sieved
1 teaspoon Baking Powder, sieved
Pinch of Paprika
6 Tablespoons Milk
2 Chopped Cloves Garlic
8 Slices of White Bread
6 tablespoons Olive Oil
300g Fresh Cranberries
Rind and Juice 1 large Orange
1 Cinnamon Stick
75g Caster Sugar
1-2 Star Anise
½ teaspoon ground ginger
2-3 tablespoons port
- For the relish: Wash the cranberries and place in a pan with the orange zest and juice, sugar and spices.
- Cook on a gentle heat, until the cranberries have burst open, and then stir occasionally, to produce a smooth relish. Remove from the heat and add the port. Taste and add more sugar if required.
- For the stilton bites: Place the grated cheeses in a large bowl with the flour, baking powder and paprika and stir together.
- Mix together the eggs, milk and garlic then pour into the flour and cheese mix. Mix everything together with a wooden spoon until you have a thick paste, adding a little more milk if needed.
- Spread the cheese mixture generously onto the slices of bread.
- Heat a little of the olive oil and butter in a large frying pan and cook in batches, cheese side down, until golden brown. Turn them over carefully and cook for a further minute on the other side.
- Cut into small triangles and serve alongside the cranberry relish.