Mushroom, Chestnut and Stilton Gougere
MUSHROOM, CHESTNUT AND STILTON GOUGERE
A “gougere” is a savoury version of choux pastry. This dish is great for vegetarians (if you buy vegetarian cheeses) and also gives a welcome change from the inevitable nut roast! If you’re not keen on chestnuts, then just leave them out or use walnuts instead.
For the Filling
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
250g Chestnut Mushrooms, sliced
45g Unsalted Butter
30g Plain Flour
1 teaspoon Dried Mustard Powder
75g Vegetarian Stilton, crumbled
180g peeled, cooked chestnuts, sliced
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
For the Gougere
60g Unsalted Butter
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
70g Plain Flour
2 Eggs, lightly whisked
50g Vegetarian Cheddar, grated
Chopped parsley, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the mushrooms. Fry for 7-8 minutes, until the mushrooms are starting to turn golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In another pan, melt the butter, then add the flour and mustard powder. Cook gently for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring well, to produce a smooth sauce. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove sauce from the heat and add the stilton, mushrooms, chestnuts and parsley. Set aside while you make the choux pastry.
- Lightly grease a shallow baking dish, with a little butter.
- To make the gougere: Put the butter and water into a saucepan and heat gently until the butter has melted and then bring the mixture to the boil.
- As soon as it is boiling, add the flour and cayenne pepper and beat well with a wooden spoon. Beat until the mixture is smooth and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Take the pan off the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs to the cooled mixture and then stir in the grated Cheddar cheese. Pipe or spoon the choux paste around the edge of the greased baking dish.
10.Spoon the mushroom filling into the middle and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the pastry is puffed up and golden brown.
11. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately, accompanied by a dressed salad.