2-4 Salmon Fillets (boneless, skin-on)
200ml Plain Yoghurt
1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
1 ½ teaspoons Ground Turmeric
2 tablespoons Freshly Chopped Coriander
Zest of ½ Lime
Zest of ½ Lemon
Drizzle of Olive Oil
2 red onions, roughly chopped
2 beef tomatoes, cored, skinned and roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
200mls coconut milk
Zest and juice of ½ lime
Chopped coriander to garnish
- Mix all of the marinade ingredients together and coat the salmon steaks. Leave to marinate for 2-4 hours, refrigerated in a covered container.
- Meanwhile, gently fry the onions and garlic in a little olive oil, until softened, but not brown. Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, and lime zest and cook gently until a thick chutney consistency is reached. Add lime juice to taste.
- When you are ready to cook, first scrape off the excess marinade and then heat a frying pan or griddle pan, until very hot.
- Sear the salmon steaks, skin side down first, turning once only, to avoid breaking the fillets. You are after a “Tandoor Oven” effect, so it needs to be really crisp on both sides, but still moist on the inside when serving. (Alternatively you could grill the fillets for 6-7 minutes, without turning).
- Serve immediately, accompanied by warm naan breads or rice, seasonal vegetables and the warm chutney.