Thai Style Slow cooked chicken
THAI STYLE SLOW COOKED CHICKEN
I wanted to show that, even in the warmer months, there are ways to use the “slow” oven to produce lighter meals, which are great to leave in for a few hours and then come back to.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 shallots, finely diced
750g chicken breast fillets, cut into large dice
1 red pepper, diced
200mls chicken or vegetable stock
1 tbsp soy sauce
½ tsp chilli flakes
1 tbsp cornflour, blended with a little water
1 tbsp cashew nut butter
2 tbsp lime juice
Chopped spring onions
Chopped fresh coriander
Sliced fresh chillies
Salted, roasted cashew nuts
- Set bottom oven to 90C.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof dish. Gently fry shallots, cumin, turmeric and garlic, for a few minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and diced pepper. Stir for a couple of minutes, until slightly browned, and then add stock, soy sauce and chilli flakes.
- Bring to the boil and then transfer to the slow oven. Cook for 4 ½ - 5 hours.
- When ready to serve, remove 1 cup of the liquid from the casserole dish and mix with cornflour, cashew nut butter and lime juice. Stir this back into the dish and then place on simmer plate.
- Simmer gently for 5 – 10 minutes, adjusting the consistency as needed.
- Serve accompanied by boiled or steamed rice and garnished with spring onions, fresh chillies, coriander and cashew nuts.