Roast Chicken with Chorizo and Vegetables
ROAST CHICKEN WITH CHORIZO AND VEGETABLES
This” one-pot” method of cooking a whole chicken means that you can forget about having to cook lots of separate vegetables, but still have a lovely flavoursome meal, without too much work. The chicken skin crisps up nicely and you can vary the vegetables according to what you have available.
1.5kg free range chicken
50g butter, softened
1 heaped teaspoon smoked paprika
Zest of 1 lemon
Fresh thyme sprigs
Freshly ground black pepper
1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into wedges
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into wedges
1 red onion, cut into wedges
350g new potatoes, halved
3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
125g chorizo, cut into chunks
- Place the whole chicken in a large roasting tray. In a small bowl, beat together the butter, smoked paprika, lemon zest and some thyme leaves.
- Gently loosen the skin over the breast, then spread the flavoured butter evenly under the skin, saving a little to rub on the outside. Season with black pepper.
- Wrap the tray tightly with foil and roast for 45 minutes at 200C
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix peppers, onions, potatoes, garlic and chorizo. Add a few sprigs of thyme and drizzle over a little olive oil. Season and mix well together.
- Remove the foil from the chicken and baste with the juices. Scatter the veggie mixture around the chicken and roast for a further 50-60 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are golden.
- Drain off the juices into a small pan and keep the chicken warm. Bring the pan to the boil and simmer the juices until reduced to a “jus” to serve with the chicken and vegetables.