Summer Berry Swiss Roll
SUMMER BERRY SWISS ROLL
This is a beautifully light cake, perfect for a Summer dessert or afternoon tea and it makes great use of the seasonal berries currently available. You could use a delicious strawberry or raspberry jam instead of the berries and cream. As the Swiss Roll contains virtually no fat, it is best eaten the day it is made – not usually a problem I find!
3 large eggs
125g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
125g plain flour
200mls whipping or double cream
Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
2 tablespoons icing sugar
200g seasonal berries e.g. strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
- Line a Swiss roll tin with silicone paper.
- In a large bowl whisk the whole eggs, sugar and vanilla extract with an electric whisk, until the mixture is very thick, pale and creamy (ribbon stage).
- Carefully fold in half the sieved flour and, once combined, add the remaining flour. Pour the mixture into the lined tin and gently smooth the surface. Bake in oven at 200C for about 12-15 minutes until the sponge is firm to the touch and golden brown in colour.
- Meanwhile, place a piece of greaseproof paper on top of a clean, damp tea towel and sprinkle the paper evenly with caster sugar.
- Once cooked, turn the Swiss roll out onto the sugared greaseproof paper, then quickly, but carefully remove the greaseproof paper from the bottom of the cake.
- Fold the used greaseproof paper in half and place it 2 cm from the top edge of the cake and roll the cake towards you, using the bottom piece of greaseproof paper to help you do this. The piece of greaseproof paper inside the cake will enable you to unroll and add the filling, once the cake has cooled.
- Whip the cream with vanilla seeds and icing sugar, adding a little Grand Marnier to the cream if desired. Wash and slice the berries.
- Once the cake is cool, unroll it and remove the greaseproof paper from inside the sponge. Trim a little off the edges of the Swiss Roll, to give a neat edge.
- Cover the cake with whipped cream and berries, leaving a 4-6 cm gap at one end, preferably the one closest to you, but spreading the cream and berries all the way to the sides.
- Then, starting at the far end, gently roll the sponge towards you, keeping it as tightly rolled as possible. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to chill, then serve with a light dusting of icing sugar, decorated with mint leaves, edible flowers and surplus berries.