Salted Caramel Brownies
Salted Caramel Filling
175g caster sugar
150ml double cream
10g unsalted butter
large pinch of flaked sea salt
180g plain flour
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
300g dark chocolate
150g unsalted butter
220g light brown sugar
150g caster sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract(or seeds from one vanilla pod)
1. To make the caramel: place the sugar into a saucepan, set over a medium heat and heat until the sugar melts and caramelises - it should look like the colour of a penny.
2. Pour in half the cream and all the salt, but be very careful as the mixture will bubble up violently. Once the mixture has settled down, pour in the remaining cream followed by the butter.
3. If there are any lumps, place the pan back on a low heat and stir gently, until smooth. Allow the caramel to cool. (You could pour it into a squeezy bottle to makes it easier to spread later on).
4. For the brownies: preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan. Grease a 21×32cm tin and line it with a strip of parchment, leaving a 4cm overhang along the long edges, to make removing the brownies easier.
5. Sieve the flour and cocoa powder together in a medium bowl. Place the chocolate and butter into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan of simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn't touch the water. Stir occasionally until the mixture is completely melted.
6. Take the bowl off the heat and add the eggs and sugars and beat until smooth. Sieve over the flour mixture and gently fold together.
7. Divide the brownie mixture in half and spread the first half into the tin. Gently pour the caramel over the brownie mix, leaving a 1.5 cm border around the outside. Then carefully spread the remaining brownie mix over the caramel - you can either gently drape it over the caramel or alternatively use a piping bag with a wide flat piping nozzle.
8. Bake for 25-30 until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached. Allow to cool completely and then use a sharp knife to cut into squares.